• http://trausti.org
  • Born 26.11.1953
  • FT Riding Teacher
  • FEIF Riding Instructor Level 3
  • Lives and trains at Kirkjuferjuhjáleiga, South Iceland
  • Former FT- president
  • Former editor of Eiðfaxi horse magazine

5 questions to Trausti:

What is most important for you in training?

To know or feel that my horse feels good about our relationship.

What horse will you always remember?

Gýmir frá Vindheimum. He was one of the biggest challenges I met, a real test for his trainers character and discipline. A very sensitive soul I had to use my whole skills and understanding for... but what he gave instead was unforgettable. The fact, that no other horse ever broke our record in 1991 with 9.39 in "Gæðingakeppni 5g Preliminary" is not the most important part of my feelings and memories of this horse, but the fact that he managed to "take" my soul and become as important for me as he was during the years we spent together.

Who is your biggest inspiration among other riders or teachers?

Reynir Aðalsteinsson was in my opinion one of the greatest horsemen, not because of his titles and good results in shows and competitions, but more because of his attitude towards the horses. He taught me how important it is that the horse feels good in your company and training. It was also nice for me to learn about Reynir´s feelings about the connection between riding and music. I often refer to and think about Reynir Aðalsteinsson when I am teaching my pupils.

What is your favorite equestrian book?

“Horse brain - Human brain” by the author Janet Jones. I have read many books written by famous riders and trainers and liked some of them. But I have reached that time in my life when science and scientific proof´s become more and more important for me. I need to understand not just "What" but also "Why". The book "Horse brain - Human brain" is in the moment my favorite one. The author analyzes the horse's thoughts and emotions. It is written in an "easy to read and understand" manner, and during my reading I have had several "wow" and "of course" moments. "A must-read-book" for horse people.

What is your favourite dressage exercise?

I don´t know if I have one favorite exercise, but I use a lot "Shoulder-In" in my training. It is easy to perform and not just important for the horse's training, but also for the rider's skills. It is not only a "gymnastic" exercise but it also helps the rider to understand how and why the aids work. "Shoulder-In" helps the rider to improve his position ("where are you"), the direction  ("where are you riding") and the application of the aids ("how").

Trausti Þór on Facebook – Instagram

Contact trainer

Trainer's Videos

Upcoming Events

Hrímnir Moments

Hrimnir Newsletter